Jason Cameron wrote:

> I must say I'm not totally happy with _any_ of the current offerings
> that I've tried for a Ruby GUI(fxRuby, wxRuby, Shoes, Sugar).  I want a
> form to open up and I want to be able to drop controls anywhere I want
> on to it without having my eyes bleed.
>
> I'd like to have a GUI builder (preferably on Linux, or will run the
> built GUI on Linux) that's as easy as Microsoft Visu ... hey would you
> guys stop throwing things ...please? ... anyway as easy as that.

NetBeans.  Built in GUI editor that Just Works.  Cross-platform.  Free.
(It's also a decent Ruby editor as well.)

> That being said... Monkeybars seems to be the easiest way for me to
> build a GUI in Ruby thus far.  Hmmmm... I'll have to look at how
> plug-ins are done in Netbeans... It may let me automate creating a
> project with a form with Monkeybars.
>
> I'm just a Linux newbie so I'll just get back to creating my rinky dinky
> little apps in Ruby. :p  If someone ever does get around to writing a
> decent GUI builder for Ruby I predict the flood doors would open and
> you'd see everyone and their dog trying Ruby out.  Is that a good
> things?... (shrug)

Why must the GUI builder be written in Ruby?    Monkeybars works with
the resulting .class file(s) containing the Swing stuff; how that gets
created is irrelevant.  (Note: yes, you can use Monkeybars with
"builder"-style GUI-generating code as well, but that gets painful for
anything non-trivial, even with Monkeybars.)

Use the best tool for the job.  Few people are insisting their text
editor or IDE be written in Ruby (not to say that would be a bad thing,
just misplaced focus).

There will be a Monkeybars talk at RubyConf 2008; I think it will knock
people's socks off.  (Yes, I'm biased. But see for yourself.)

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com   - Wicked Cool Coding