Hi,

Robert Feldt wrote:

> Recently downloaded Ruby and I'm really impressed so far. Want to try out
> the tk integration but none of the tk samples (in rbcw144.zip) work:
>
> bash-2.04$ ruby tkhello.rb
> //c/Prg/ruby/lib/tcltklib.rb:7:in `+': failed to convert nil into String
> (TypeError)
>         from //c/Prg/ruby/lib/tcltklib.rb:7
>         from //c/Prg/ruby/lib/tk.rb:7:in `require'
>         from //c/Prg/ruby/lib/tk.rb:7
>         from tkhello.rb:1:in `require'
>         from tkhello.rb:1
>
> I've downloaded the latest cygwin (1.1.1), including tcltk,
> from sourceware.cygnus.com so the version of tcltk shouldn't be the
> problem. Or?

Unfortunately I never got this stuff working correctly either (on either
Windows NT 4 or AIX 4.3), but in the pre-comp.lang.ruby days, there were some
Ruby/Tk installation suggestions posted to the ruby-talk mail list, whose
searchable archives may be found at:

    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

After taking the extreme measure of nulling out all the text strings in the
widget demo that had "nonstandard" (for me) characters, I did get the badly
eviscerated ghost of the widget demo to come up on AIX. I never managed to
get anything running on NT however. I hope someone (else) someday resolves
these problems, as the amount of traffic on comp.lang.perl.tk indicates that
this should be a very popular feature for Ruby users. I know I certainly
found Perl/Tk useful years ago.
--
Conrad Schneiker