On 1/16/02 1:54 AM, "Markus Jais" <mjais / web.de> wrote:

> hello
>
> this is more of a general question on Ruby Threads.
> I have never used threads in any language until now, so
> I am a complete newbie to this topic.
> (have read something about threads in a bad java book,
> but this didn't help me with the following questions)

I'm a Ruby newbie but I'll take a shot.
> I read somewhere that Ruby threads are no native threads.

That's right.
> what exactly is a native thread?? (something using pthreads on linux??)

Yes, pthreads on Unix and the WIN32 threads on Windows.
> what is the advantage / disadvantage of the ruby approach to threads??
>
> are native threads faster??

The Ruby method is portable. I don't think it's as fast and it can't use
more than one processor at a time.

> Does anybody know, if the Python and Perl Thread implementations are similar
> to the ruby Thread implementation??

I'm not sure. Matz has hinted that Ruby 2.x will use native threads.

> I tried to find some answers on the web but couldn't find anything
> useful.
<http://www.serpentine.com/~bos/threads-faq/>
Sherlock rocks.
--
Adults are obsolete children.
-Dr. Seuss, humorist, illustrator, and author (1904-1991)