Joshua Ballanco wrote:
> Well, I just came across this in my feed reader:
> http://blog.headius.com/2008/09/elephant.html
>
> Mymymy...such vitriol! Look, I've never had anything against JRuby. In
> fact, I'm very interested (and less involved than I should be) in
> MacRuby (which, I noticed, did _not_ get a mention in that rant). I also
> feel like Rubinius is an interesting project. That said, I've always
> worried that Ruby is heading down Smalltalk's slippery slope.

I don't think there was any vitriol at all. I avoided that kind of rant
(useful as it may be, sometimes) to escape the visceral response that
always accompanies. What I really wanted was to be constructive while
slapping the stupids out of people who still dismiss JRuby because it
has a J in it. It's definitely not everyone, and maybe not a
majority...but in many cases it's people that garner a lot of respect
and people who should know better.

I'm also hoping this will start the discussion of what we on the JRuby
team can do better to support Rubyists. We're really trying to make
JRuby the best it can be for *you*.

> ...or at least it was active? I know the late summer lends itself more
> to vacations than days-long hack-fests. Still, it'd be nice to know that
> there will be more coming down the pipe from the ruby-design process.
> Ruby 1.9 looks good. I think I'd feel a lot better about JRuby if I knew
> their group was on-board with the whole 1.8-->1.9-->2.0 process. I
> realize there is a lot of practical vs principle going on here, still...

We are! JRuby already includes a few bits of 1.9, including Fibers
(backed by native threads, but functionally similar), native Rational
and Complex, and a few other odds and ends like proc {} = Proc.new {}.
You can turn on 1.9 mode with a simple command-line flag --1.9 and we
ship both in the same codebase. We're on board, but we're taking a more
relaxed approach since even 1.9 is still changing.

- Charlie