From: Brian Green [mailto:gallagherjb / gmail.com]
# It's slow because the script is going to integrated into the
# companies
# online asset management software - and I was told by the IT
# guys that if
# it's slower than a certain speed it will time out - it
# currently is too  slow.
#
# As far as how many files it ranges between 3-5 (usually), the
# sizes of
# the files vary from about 5MB-50MB

max of 5 * 50MB
not so bad if you have lots of ram

# Disk space is not an issue - there's tons of it. As far memory goes -
# the IT guys said it can't load the whole file into memory.
# CPU is fairly fast - but again this isn't the problem - since
# it will be running from a server...
#
# >
# > # I know that all the information I need is
# > # in the last 5% of the text file - but I haven't been able to
# >
# > are you sure of the 5% ?
# > where is your proof?
#
# I've gone through many files and manually located where the text I'm
# looking for appears - they appear no further out that 5% from
# the end...

ok no problem. we can adjust it anytime ;)

# > # figure out a way to either jump to near the end, and then
# > # start search through lines
# >
# > low level, use IO:SEEK_END
#
# I'm not sure how to use the SEEK_END properly and it's hard
# finding good examples...

the examples are clear enough. try it first for one file. then post your tried codes again here.

kind regards -botp