-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 06:44:13 +0900
> Von: "Michal Suchanek" <hramrach / centrum.cz>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: Ruby 1.8.6. - 100% CPU on OS X

> On 04/09/2008, Glen Holcomb <damnbigman / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:41 AM, David Ecd <dmritacco / hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >  > Glen Holcomb wrote:
> >  > > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:50 PM, David Ecd <dmritacco / hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > >>
> >  > > Are there other things running that you think should be sharing
> with the
> >  > > cpu?  You could always renice the process so it doesn't hog if it
> is
> >  > > causing
> >  > > you problems.
> >  > >
> >  > > --
> >  > > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your
> actions
> >  > > speak
> >  > > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
> >  > >
> >  > > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
> >  >
> >  > Usually I just kill the process. Not a big problem when it happens
> once
> >  > in a while. But now it's happening several times a day...
> >  >
> >  > Can't find a reference anywhere about ppl having similar problems...
> >  > --
> >  > Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
> >  >
> >  >

> > Well if the process is actually running (garbage collection maybe) then
> it
> >  would use clock cycles and if there is nothing else needing those
> cycles I
> >  would expect it to use 100%.
> >

> Well, if it's on something like a G3 there aren't many CPU cycles,
> spare or otherwise. Something like garbage collection could possibly
> cause noticeable load. After all, top uses about one third of all cpu
> time on these ..
>
> If it's on decent hardware then irb consuming noticeable amounts of
> CPU time sounds fishy. But then Firefox always eats some cpu time for
> me, and there is usually plenty left so I don't watch it too closely.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

Hi --

I don't know if this applies to your CPU load problem, but I've had several strange errors related to Ruby
(on Linux Ubuntu).
When I reported them on this and other lists, the authors of various gems told me that they had tried
their software on a fresh install of Ubuntu and Ruby and their gem, without problems.
I then reinstalled Ubuntu on my system, and Ruby, from source, and everything else, and the bug disappeared.

I wrote something like that in response to another post, and Ara Howard wrote that he had had issues with
Ruby and OS X as well.

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/164627#new

Maybe a reinstall from source can help ?

Best regards,

Axel

--
Psssst! Schon das coole Video vom GMX MultiMessenger gesehen?
Der Eine f Alle: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/messenger03