On 04/09/2008, Glen Holcomb <damnbigman / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:41 AM, David Ecd <dmritacco / hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > Glen Holcomb wrote:
>  > > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:50 PM, David Ecd <dmritacco / hotmail.com> wrote:
>  > >
>  > >>
>  > > Are there other things running that you think should be sharing with the
>  > > cpu?  You could always renice the process so it doesn't hog if it is
>  > > causing
>  > > you problems.
>  > >
>  > > --
>  > > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
>  > > speak
>  > > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>  > >
>  > > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
>  >
>  > Usually I just kill the process. Not a big problem when it happens once
>  > in a while. But now it's happening several times a day...
>  >
>  > Can't find a reference anywhere about ppl having similar problems...
>  > --
>  > Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
>  >
>  >

> Well if the process is actually running (garbage collection maybe) then it
>  would use clock cycles and if there is nothing else needing those cycles I
>  would expect it to use 100%.

Well, if it's on something like a G3 there aren't many CPU cycles,
spare or otherwise. Something like garbage collection could possibly
cause noticeable load. After all, top uses about one third of all cpu
time on these ..

If it's on decent hardware then irb consuming noticeable amounts of
CPU time sounds fishy. But then Firefox always eats some cpu time for
me, and there is usually plenty left so I don't watch it too closely.

Thanks

Michal