-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 03:25:04 +0900
> Von: Tim Hunter <TimHunter / nc.rr.com>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: finding blocks in black-and-white images (efficiently)

> Axel Etzold wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a number of black-and-white scanned pages. To prepare them for
> OCR,
> > I have to split them in columns and rows. Additionally, somewhere in
> between, there
> > are pictures, which also need to be separated.
> >
> > So, in a page that might look like this:
> >
> > Text1 Text4 Text6
> >
> > Text2 Pict1 Text7
> >
> > Text3 Text5 Pict2
> >
> > I'd like to find the largest blocks of white which separate the texts
> and pictures, both horizontally
> > and vertically.
>
> Anthony, one of the IM team, has a suggestion you can read here:
> http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11980&p=39232#p39232.
> If this is something you want to pursue let me know and we can work on
> converting his shell script to Ruby.
>
> --
> RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/

Dear Tim,

thank you very much for your help. This script does indeed look very interesting -- and very heroic !
It would be very nice to have it in RMagick,as far as I am concerned. I fear that my shell scripting
capabilities/knowledge of RMagick will not suffice to get it done in a very short time, so I'd some help to convert it into
Ruby. Also, more generally, how do you wrap ImageMagick functions in RMagick ? Do you call  C functions ?
At the install, I was lazy and took the gem option ;)

Thanks again and looking forward to your answer!

Best regards,

Axel

--
Psssst! Schon das coole Video vom GMX MultiMessenger gesehen?
Der Eine f?r Alle: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/messenger03