hello

this is more of a general question on Ruby Threads.
I have never used threads in any language until now, so
I am a complete newbie to this topic.
(have read something about threads in a bad java book,
but this didn't help me with the following questions)

I read somewhere that Ruby threads are no native threads.

what exactly is a native thread?? (something using pthreads on linux??)

what is the advantage / disadvantage of the ruby approach to threads??

are native threads faster??

Does anybody know, if the Python and Perl Thread implementations are similar
to the ruby Thread implementation??

I tried to find some answers on the web but couldn't find anything
useful.

thanks in advance for all answer!

regards
markus