On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Tobias Reif wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > there. I want to keep "if not" separate from
> > "unless" and that kind of thing.
> Would it's serialization method (offer various options for) pretty
> print(ing)?

I'm really lousy at pretty-printing (witness the smelly stuff in the cvs
history of ToSource.rb), so I'll leave that to someone else. I'll
concentrate on the printing, period. =)

> * should offer a complete set of classes and methods, so that any Ruby
>    program can be generated (including comments, shebangs and all);

i'm barely even beginning to think about Annotations. (but it will be a
mix-in and a set of options: "keep comments", "keep original
source/formatting").

> * 's serialization method(s) should offer some control over layout:
>    pretty printing; multiple files and locations; etc.

ToSource has (had?) several options, e.g. space vs tab indentation, depth
of indentation, margins, ... but i didn't go into other policies. Anyway I
screwed it up; ToSource's pretty-printer is disabled.

What do you mean exactly by "multiple files and locations" ?

> ... true, it's cleaner, but in contrary to the first version depends on
> indentation.

it did _not_.

> :) Yep. It looks pretty tedious.
> > (At least it's not XML.)
> I don't understand what you mean here.

XML is tedious, at least for representing programs.

> Thus I then can generate code objects by having code parsed, then I can
> manipulate the whole construct via many useful methods, and then I can
> get it serialized/written out, nicely laid out. And then I can sit there
> and smile, if I understood your idea correctly :)

Yes. But it has to work first, and I'm not there yet. =)

Mathieu Bouchard                   http://hostname.2y.net/~matju