Rock Roll <karoljouis / gmail.com> writes:

> Dave Bass wrote:
>> Rock Roll wrote:
>>> If I am developing a Windows application in Ruby using FxRuby or WxRuby,
>>> compile and create the executable, will i need ruby in another computer
>>> in order to run the standalone application? Sorry if my question is so
>>> silly.
>>
>> If you don't want people to see your source code, and you want your app
>> to run on any Windows PC, you'll have to use a fully compiled language
>> like C/C++ to produce .exe files.
>>
>> Even .exe files can be reverse engineered, but it's a difficult job to
>> reconstruct sensible source code from them.
>>
>> Dave
>

> 100% I agree with you. It is true. But my points are
> 1. The hacker know about my application already and he had played with
> it in his PC.
> 2. When he accesses another PC he founds that the user also uses the
> same application.
> 3. Now he changes the code which is in .rb format.

It's a nonsensical scenario. WHY would some intruder do this, when he
can already do whatever he wants with the system? And if he has only
user-level access, he won't be able to change any correctly installed
program, no matter what language it's written in.

> 4. I believe the hacker won't think of re-engineering the compiled code
> or the .exe one for 99% of times.
> 5. If it is .rb it will be easier for him to do.
> 6. The java executable would be .class files which are compiled and
> harder to read by human unless re-engineered.

java programs are actually pretty trivial to decompile.

> So is there anything available in the case for .rb files?

file permissions.