Hi Jarrod,

This happens to me now and then: especially on my Ubuntu box (low-spec
machine as it happens) - the whole machine can become totally
unresponsive for 5-10 minutes.

I tried killing it once, but I just made things worse. (ended up with a
force-reboot).

I don't why this happens, but in my experience just letting it run its
course was the only way of not causing damage to my system....

John