Rock Roll wrote:
> Michael Morin wrote:
>
>> You can't really do that, the best you can do is obfuscation.  Even
>> then, a skilled person can de-obfuscate the code or otherwise reverse
>> engineer it.  All you do is raise the bar a little bit, you don't
>> prevent anyone from doing anything.
>>
>> Strictly speaking, all software is open source.  You cannot hide the
>> source code to your application, only translate it into something less
>> human readable.  Also, in almost all cases, preventing someone from
>> reading the code in the first place is a useless endeavor.  Only where
>> something like trade secrets and industrial espionage is a factor does
>> hiding your source code make sense.
>

> Thank you. But when a hacker who knows the internals of the software
> gets access to the software in an End user's computer, and if he changes
> the code after getting root access wont that harm the user's computer
> and when he knows that the software is damaged or causing some trouble
> wont he blame the makers

If a "hacker" has write access to your end user's files (including the
program you gave them), they can change it however they want.  There's
nothing you can do there.  There are some methods involving
cryptographically signed binaries and such, but there are always way
around it.

Like I said before, there isn't much you can do about things like this.
  This is also not a problem unique to Ruby, all computer code suffers
from this "problem."

--
Michael Morin
Guide to Ruby