Hi --

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Robert Dober wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:27 AM, David Masover <ninja / slaphack.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In ruby, operators are methods and they operate on objects, not on
>>> variables.
>>
>> That's not really a valid reason, and not entirely true -- there is no +=
>> method for you to define. It behaves as though it's a macro:
> You are right of course, the original question was, why is there no
> x++ as syntactic sugar for x = x + 1.
> No idea ;).

Matz has always said that the reason is that he doesn't like the idea
of an assignment that looks like incrementation. In other words, if
you did:

   x = 1
   x++

you wouldn't be incrementing x (because then 1 would be 2, which would
cause chaos); rather, you would be assigning to x. Wrapping that in a
notation that typically means something different (incrementing a
variable) would be unidiomatic and misleading.

David

   Intro to Ruby on Rails  January 12-15   Fort Lauderdale, FL
   Advancing with Rails    January 19-22   Fort Lauderdale, FL *
   * Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!