Davi Vidal wrote:
> Em Wednesday 27 August 2008, Amanda .. escreveu:
>> Kevin Brown wrote:
>> > Why?  Has Amanda chosen to not use SSL to secure the client to server
>> > communication ?
>>
>> and I don't even know what ssl is lol, I will go look into it.
>
>   A-m-a-z-i-n-g.
>
>   You can't work with web development without know what SSL is. Neither
> you
> could speak that you work with web development.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Sockets_Layer

okay, so I know that I need to learn about SSL, but I don't think that's
what I'm after for this...

Maybe this will clarify:

We have a database where users/passwords/all their info is stored (this
database is not just for our site and contains way more entries than
would ever be required of our site). It is secure and uses SSL, I don't
really know how it works, I don't really need to.

What we're doing is using that database to to check if a user exists.
Once a username and password are entered into the login for the first
time, that user's information is then stored in a different database,
one specifically for our site so we can use their information on our
site.  The problem is that we can't have any users that are not stored
in the larger database. In order to do this, I've set up a form (the
code is above) where an admin for the site can create a user...it all
works, except I want the password to be altered before it's actually
sent to the database.

What I need is a way to stop the password text_field from sending the
text directly to the database, then alter the text, and finally store it
in the database.  In the "Agile Web Development With Rails" book, they
give an example of encryption, but I'm not sure how to use that with my
form.

I haven't even been web developing for 4 months, so I definitely don't
know all that I should, and I haven't had much success in searching
google or this rails development book for help with intercepting the
form's information before it gets sent to the database.