-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:32:48 +0900
> Von: SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <summercoolness / gmail.com>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: Moving all files in a folder to another hard drive

> Dave Bass wrote:
> > Presumably the file names are being corrupted at some point. It could be
> > in Ruby, or it could be in Windows. My approach would be to put some
> > print statements in to find out where exactly the problem lies.
>
> actually, if i use
>
> files.each { |file|
>   p i, file
>   file.each_byte {|c| print c, ' ' }
>   [...]
>
> then the filename print out as a lot of 63, which is the ASCII of "?",
> so it looks like the filenames already come back bad...
>
> using $KCODE = "u"; or   ruby -Ku move.rb doesn't seem to help.  They
> seem to be only indicating the file containing the code uses UTF-8
> encoding.
>

> --

Have you tried to use Iconv to convert between encodings ?
In editors, texts full of questions marks suddenly become readable, if the right encoding is
chosen....

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/iconv/rdoc/classes/Iconv.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding#Popular_character_encodings

Best regards,