On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:30:22PM +0900, Peter Hickman muttered...
: Stephan K?mper wrote:
:
: > The rule one of my supervisors gave me is: 'All method definitions
: > shall fit into the editor window.'
: > That was back in the years of 24 line monitors, any I think this
: > rule is still OK - in terms of lines.
:
: One that was given to me (read YOU WILL DO IT THIS WAY) was meaningful variables. Which sounds like such
: a great idea until you come across...
:
: percentageofvalidationerrorsinthedatabase = numberofvalidrecordsinthedatabase /
: totalnumberofrecordsinthedatabase
:
: Anything more complicated starts to become unreadable very quickly (not to mention the effect of spelling
: mistakes) I leave it to you to imagine what the SQL looks like, and that very rarely fitted onto a
: screen.

My teacher at school alway wittered on about meaningful identifiers (this was
in pascal) and so I then made a point to make each variable name 256
characters. He was less than pleased - but it was readable
BecauseWeHadToWriteThemLikeThis :) But even to this day I still stick to
hacking out a method using bad identifiers and then go back and give them the
correct names (once I actually know what they are for) - most people seem to
forget the second step =P

Regards,

Chris

--