On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:30 PM, MRH <mauriceroman / gmail.com> wrote:

>> What you find silly might now be silly to another, else there wouldn't
>> have been such a long discussion about a topic which was run through
>> before.
>
> Most posts are not in favor of a mascot from what I have read of this
> thread. This is probably why there isn't one to begin with - and I
> hope it stays that way.
>

>> A logo and a mascot are a few of the essential items to forming a
>> community,
>
> Funny, that an essential item has been missing all these years yet
> there are and have been many Ruby communities in existence at this
> very moment.
>
>>it helps to rally the members better.
>
> ???
>
> Last time I checked, Ruby was a programming language, and the members
> of its community were bound by their use of the language, not by
> whether or not a cartoon mascot existed.

Going by your logic, even the logo is irrelevant, but it was an effort
supported by Matz himself.

> I can think of no programmer worth his salt who would need a cartoon
> mascot to "rally" with others in a "better" fashion.

Then why does every "major" programming effort have a mascot/logo?
FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Darwin, Minix3, Python, Apache, ...

Its good to be a programmer, but its important to be a programmer having taste.

~Mayuresh