Hi,

I haven't followed this thread so I'm probably out of line. As the
CompressionR author let me just summarize its main "features":

* Its small (single c file compiled to < 10kb dll file)
* Its fast  (based on lzo which is fastest compression alg around)
* Its simple (compress(str) and decompress(str))
* Its not as good as zlib (10-20% less compression)
* Its not as standard as zlib
* Its not as fancy as ruby/zlib

IMHO, it might be a candidate if one considers including compression into
the Ruby core and want to keep the size of the core down or if one
wants compression/decopression at maximum speed.

For other uses ruby/zlib or rubyzip is probably the way to go.

Regards,

Robert Feldt