On Friday 22 August 2008 06:41:24 David A. Black wrote:

> > http://www.deadprogrammer.com/starbucks-logo-mermaid
>
> Starbucks isn't my role model as a Rubyist (or in any other respect).

Starbucks is massively popular, despite being as expensive as they are.

They also have a habit of building insane amounts of brand loyalty -- an
oft-cited example (that I still can't verify) is the guy who went on a coffee
run for his office, and dropped the tray (spilling all the coffee) on his way
back.

So, the girl at the counter noticed him ordering the exact same thing, again,
and asked why -- found out he'd dropped the tray -- and gave him the order
free.

I'd say that's something to respect -- either in the actual
brand-loyalty-building genius, or the sheer viral marketing genius if the
story isn't real.