Tommy Morgan wrote:
> Regardless of whether or not I agree with that... you have a self-selection
> problem.
> The people who have formed the ruby community did so without the aid of a
> mascot.

Well, there is no *one* Ruby community; there are many.  And some
(possibly large) number of Rubyists have abandoned ruby-talk, so the
thread here is hardly indicative of what Rubyists as a whole think of a
mascot.   (BTW, this thread is a good example of why people are leaving
this mailing list.  Sad to say.)  But I am  unaware of any Ruby
community that has a mascot, and things seems to be thriving.

> So it's easy to see how the community as it exists now is one that
> doesn't see the need for some avatar to represent the language - the
> language is the language, and they love it for the reasons that they love
> it, and that's that.
> Attempting to force a community to adopt anything will do nothing but spin
> tires. Especially if that community is spontaneous and decentralized, like
> the ruby community is.

I imagine that if some Ruby community really wants their own mascot they
will just go adopt one.  Some others will giggle.

> If a mascot ever does get adopted, I'd be willing to bet it'd be more of a
> viral adoption than as part of a "let's sit around and pitch ideas for a
> mascot" email thread.

Exactly.  Doing beats asking.  But be careful what you wish for.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com   - Wicked Cool Coding