On Wednesday 20 August 2008 12:08:01 d c wrote:
> the counter point:
>
> TDD seems badly suited to *really* rapid prototyping.

I thought so, too. And I got quite a lot done, very fast, with this hobby
project I'm working on...

Then it reached a threshold -- not a very high one -- where I could no longer
reasonably develop the app, because of how long it was taking me to test it,
manually. At this point, I at least needed a testing framework.

And that was short of having the working prototype that I want. It's obvious
at this point that from here on (till the working prototype), not having
tests will slow me down, not speed me up.

Now, I suppose it depends on the complexity of the prototype. If you want to
prototype absurdly fast (a few hours or days), and it's a reasonably simple
concept (a couple hundred lines or so), then yes, it's probably faster to
just code it.

But the longer you put off writing those tests, the worse it's going to be
when you finally start.