On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Brian Marick wrote:

> 2) It might be good to predefine a Formatter that prints the
>      location a log message came from. Like this:
>
>        netapp.rb:13:in `initialize'

Do you mean the execution trace? That's generated when requested :)

> Generally, there's an amazing amount in common. We even both redefine
> logging methods on the fly. Maybe we should merge all the features, like
> rubyUnit and Lapidary are? I'm with you: a good logger is a wonderful thing
> to have, and I'd like to see more Ruby programs distributed with logging
> coded in. I'm pretty pressed for time for, oh, the next forever, though.

Sure, I'm interested in a Ruby logger to kill all others and have it
become a standard lib. I'll take a closer peek at Ruby-trace and get back
to you. I'm only starting to add convenience features, so now would be the
best time to merge. I'll do all the work if necessary ;-)

In the meanwhile, I'm currently working on version 1.0 of Log4r which
will include:

XML Configuration
PatternFormatter:
    given a sprintf-like directive "%6l [%d] %t: %m"
      => DEBUG [2002-01-03 12:34:34] foo.rb in 23: Message
    (Also format the date as desired.)

It's done except for documentation, which is getting tedious. RDoc helps a
lot!

> Good job.

Thanks!

- Leon