i) ooops - I must have used a stale link somewhere :)
   my problems could all have been fixed bugs !!!
Thanks for the slap !

ii) we use cygwin so we have a similar environment on the 'nix boxes and
XP Pcs.  and have been using gnu-make for some old scripts, and have
bash and perl scripts and the like that run on both, we also use
open-ssh scp rsync wget etc. the path difference between the two
complicates things. My plan was to test both.

It seems like packaging everything for a "one command" cygwin/ruby
install (unzip this to temp, do "bash ruby ./setup.rb" is a fairly easy
way. I already have a pre-downloaded maintained .zip of cygwin that is
"install from local directory" ready.