At 03:07 AM 1/8/02, Leon Torres wrote:
>Hi folk, I've been using Ruby casually up until now. While writing a game
>in Ruby, my logging system began to resemble a certain Apache project. One
>thing led to another and now I present to you:
>
>Log4r - A flexible logger for Ruby
>http://log4r.sourceforge.net

This looks pretty cool. There are a couple of things you might want to copy
in from my logging package
<http://visibleworkings.com/ruby-trace/>
1) An Outputter that just stores into a ring buffer until you decide
     to dump it.
2) It might be good to predefine a Formatter that prints the
     location a log message came from. Like this:

       netapp.rb:13:in `initialize'
       = announce: Using alternate capability file 'alt.cap'.

Apologies if you already have those - I'm just going by the web site
documentation.

Generally, there's an amazing amount in common. We even both redefine
logging methods on the fly. Maybe we should merge all the features, like
rubyUnit and Lapidary are? I'm with you: a good logger is a wonderful thing
to have, and I'd like to see more Ruby programs distributed with logging
coded in. I'm pretty pressed for time for, oh, the next forever, though.

Good job.

--
Brian Marick, marick / testing.com
www.testing.com - Software testing services and resources