Alexandre Brillant wrote:

> I don't understand one point with Ruby on Rails :

The best place to discuss RoR is here:

   http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/

This forum is only qualified to discuss Ruby, the language behind Rails, and
many other awesome programs.

> create_table( :personnes ) {
>
> |p|

I don't know what editor you use, but 'script/generate model' should have
created better syntax there. The |p| should be up near the {, as a style thing.
And your editor might have inserted linefeeds when you tried to paste your
source here.

I would scratch this project and use 'script/generate model' to redo the files.

> And it works, but I don't understand how Rails can know that the classe
> Personne should be mapped to the
>
> personnes table. Where it is stored ?

Google for "convention over configuration". Then pity the programmers, using
other platforms, who must edit ~1 Kb of lines of configuration files, just to
stitch things together!

By default, ActiveRecord will read the name of your class, Personne, lower-case
it, personne, and pluralize it: personnes. Then it looks for that table.

It uses a class called Inflector to do this.

However, I suspect you are lucky to use a language that pluralizes with an s. I
don't think the Inflector is smart enough to divine your language and pluralize
with its conventions - if any! Maybe someone on the RoR forum knows how to set
your locale to French, to handle French idioms correctly...

--
   Phlip