Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:03110] my wish list for Ruby"
    on 00/06/06, Mathieu Bouchard <matju / CAM.ORG> writes:

| * implement and use a grand unified event loop for timers, select,
|sockets, xlib, gtk, database, etc. [1-2 classes/files for the base;
|adapt libraries so that they use that system]

Ian once proposed such event loop before.  I haven't get the image of
grand unified event loop yet.  Dicussion is welcome.

| * Build a CPAN-like system. This includes formalizing the repository of
|contributed libraries and applications, but also building a client,
|maintenance tools, and building a mirror list. [potentially many
|classes; compare with the cpan tool]

RAA (Ruby Application Archive http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa.html)
should be evolved into a CPAN like system someday. Volunteer is
welcome.

| * Allow for multiple roots of libraries in an environment variable. There
|seems to be a RUBYLIB_PATH or something, but it doesn't seem to be
|documented. This is a very important feature and the CPAN-like system must
|honor those as well. [0 classes]

This is done in 1.5.x, stay tuned till the reference for Ruby 1.5.x
(or 1.6) is available.

| * For distributed applications, and even for local applications, a remote
|method invocation mechanism (known as RPC or RMI) might be desirable. this
|includes serialization, virtual objects by delegation, message streams,
|callback on return, and authorization (specifying what you can do, not
|what you cannot). Ideal for client-server, sandboxing, and for avoiding
|threads (threadophobia) where event queues are not appropriate. [3-10
|classes]

dRuby (distributed Ruby) accopmplish at least part of your desire.
The greatest problem of eRuby is no English document is available.
Try http://www2a.biglobe.ne.jp/~seki/ruby/drb-1.1.tar.gz.  It's all
written in Ruby.

| * Take the Point class from Ruby xlib. Make it const (Points as values,
|not variables; remove any kinds of assignment to x and y). Include it in
|the main distribution. A more general vector class (in the linear math
|sense) might or might not be appropriate, i don't know. There are many,
|many applications to this, and not only in graphics. [1-3 classes]

I'm not sure how good to integrate Point into core library.

| * Extend the XLib wrapper to completeness (minus the redundant
|procedures). This is a more of a personal interest, actually. [many small
|classes in C code]

I guess no one is actively working on Ruby/Xlib.  Do you want to take
care of it?

							matz.