This question is a little complicated, so I'll try to describe the
underlying issue in detail.

I'm using a Ruby script as a "glue" to link several engineering codes
together.  To run each individual code, we utilize a production
submission system (call it 'PROD').  So I'm using Ruby to create input
files, submit the underlying engineering code run by invoking PROD with
the input file I've created.  I then post-process the output of the
engineering code, and link it up to the next code by creating new input
files.

To invoke PROD, I'm using a system command of the type 'system( "PROD
options" )', where everything inside the single quotes is the command I
issue, and the options are PROD options.

This works pretty well until in one of the executions of an underlying
engineering code, the code prematurely terminates in the middle of a
run.  If I take the identical input file and run it directly (using
*exactly* the same command as the system call above), it runs perfectly.

Are there some effects of "system" that I'm not aware of, being that I'm
a Nuby?  One thought I had is that numerous system calls chew up memory
until I simply cannot run anything more.

Any speculations that anybody might have??

Respectfully, TPL