In message <20020113213008.A6449 / prism.localnet>
list / chromatic-harp.com writes:

> - do backquotes for calling external commands work reliably and
> uniformly across supported platforms?  In other words, will writing
> `tar xcf #{pkgdir}` always do the trick or will it need tweakings
> depending on the platform?  I'm thinking in the direction of
> `C:\full\path\to\tar zcf #{pkgdir}` on Windows, which I don't know if
> can be avoided (how do you Windows folks usually do?).

Here.... I believe using system for external command execution is more
reasonable if I don't need its output within scripts, but so many use
`command` form even they discard whole outputs of a command....

Is there a good reason using `command`?  How different are

  `command arg1 arg2`  # no assignment: outputs are discarded.
                       # may be create a String just throwing away

and

  system "command arg1 arg2"
  system "command", "arg1", "arg2"

?

# Well second form of system doesn't expand specials, but it is not a
# problem now.

--
kjana / dm4lab.to                               January 14, 2002
Better late than never.