Martin Krauskopf wrote:
> Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> [...]
>  >   I believe that's possible with NetBeans, though perhaps not
> directly
>  >   supported by the existing installers
>
> There are platform independent archives which might be used (unzipped)
> instead of installer:
>
> 6.1:
> http://download.netbeans.org/netbeans/6.1/final/zip/
>
> 6.5 (continuous builds):
> http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/trunk/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/nbbuild/dist/zip/
>
>   m.

This is a nice find.  I downloaded and unzipped 6.1 Ruby/Rails version
and it ran just fine on a computer that did not have the JDK.  This
makes me really wonder why the installer would not continue without
having the JDK installed.  Since I don't have the JDK (just the JRE), I
wonder if the extracted Netbeans will eventually run in to problems?  I
don't think I'll explore it's usage now, but I would be curious to know.

James