Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

>> Unless I was mistaken, it required the JDK which is like another 100MB.
>
> For Windows, JDK appears to be 77MB, which is admittedly big, but it's
> not 100MB.

The compressed download is 77MB, but that is not the install size.  I
thought I was being conservative with 100 MB, so I did an install in a
virtual machines and the install size for JDK, choosing all defaults, is
a whopping 583.4 MB!

> I didn't check other platforms. And NetBeans does say it
> depends on JDK to "install and run". So basing off 6.1's Ruby-only size
> (29MB) the total would be about 106MB.

Again, that 29MB is the compressed download.  After installation the
Ruby-only Netbeans 6.1 takes up an addition 110.4MB.  That would put the
total install size at 693.8MB which would take up 2/3rds of my 1.0GB
flash drive, if it's even possible to embed the JDK and use in a
portable way.

> Checking EasyEclipse, the Windows download size for the Ruby/Rails
> version (not including a JRE) is 112MB. If we go by your size estimate
> of 80MB, that's still only 26MB smaller than NetBeans *plus* the entire
> JDK (and still no JRE included).

The extracted size of the full blown Ruby/Rails version of EasyEclipse
is 163.9MB, even if I include the JRE, which I _think_ installs at about
150MB, that puts the total at about 315MB which is just under half the
size of the Netbeans footprint.

Considering that JRE is installed on almost every computer anyway, and I
actually use "Eclipse Platform Runtime" + "EasyEclipse RadRails Plugin"
+ "EasyEclipse RDT Plugin" which all extracted and installed comes to
66.3MB.  So what I actually use is 9.6% the size of the minimum (as far
as I can tell) install of Netbeans for Ruby/Rails.

> And Eclipse is even less portable than NetBeans; it must be downloaded
> for a specific platform, because the whole GUI is based on native code
> and native components. You can't run the same Eclipse on a Windows box
> as you would on a Linux box, for example.

Unfortunately, I only need it to be portable between Windows computers.
I could, however, keep Windows, Linux, and Mac (though I have not used
or known someone even had a Mac for years) on my flash drive and still
take up less space than Netbeans.

> I presume you're running this Eclipse install on the same OS every time,
> or Eclipse has started including native binaries for multiple platforms.
> Can you confirm which?

I'm only using Eclipse on Windows, but a quick look on their website and
they do have downloads for Mac, linux, AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX.