James Dinkel wrote:
> Martin Krauskopf wrote:
>> James Dinkel wrote:
>
>>  > My problem with Netbeans is it was too big
>>
>> Download size (of 6.5dev) is ± 55MB. We bundle JRuby which also
>> increases size a bit. We are planning kind of lightweight Ruby IDE
>> without JRuby, Glassfish, etc. as a choice.
>
> Unless I was mistaken, it required the JDK which is like another 100MB.

For Windows, JDK appears to be 77MB, which is admittedly big, but it's
not 100MB. I didn't check other platforms. And NetBeans does say it
depends on JDK to "install and run". So basing off 6.1's Ruby-only size
(29MB) the total would be about 106MB. I'm not sure about the size of
the dev builds; that may be a final size or it may not, so we'll
discount that for the moment.

Checking EasyEclipse, the Windows download size for the Ruby/Rails
version (not including a JRE) is 112MB. If we go by your size estimate
of 80MB, that's still only 26MB smaller than NetBeans *plus* the entire
JDK (and still no JRE included).

And Eclipse is even less portable than NetBeans; it must be downloaded
for a specific platform, because the whole GUI is based on native code
and native components. You can't run the same Eclipse on a Windows box
as you would on a Linux box, for example. I believe that's possible with
NetBeans, though perhaps not directly supported by the existing
installers. In theory though, it's all Swing components.

But basically, I don't see where the big size difference you're talking
about is.

>>  > definately not portable
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by this. If OS portability, we run Linux, Mac,
>> Windows, Solaris, .. <where-JVM-runs-OSes>.
>
> What I meant was being able to copy it to a USB flash drive and just
> plug it in and run the program.  I keep RadRails (switching to the
> EasyEclipse stuff I mentioned) and a program called Flash Rails
> (http://flashrails.rubyforge.org) on my USB drive and I can have my
> complete Ruby development environment anywhere.  I think Eclipse
> probably requires the JRE, but I almost never come across a computer
> without the JRE.  I can run everything from the flash drive, even with
> restricted user permissions, and leave nothing behind on the computer.

I presume you're running this Eclipse install on the same OS every time,
or Eclipse has started including native binaries for multiple platforms.
Can you confirm which?

Hopefully this doesn't come off too "rah-rah" NetBeans. There's just
some factual issues I thought should be corrected.

- Charlie