The newest NetBeans is great. I use it for Ruby, Groovy, and Java and it
excels at all of them. I'm forced to use Eclipse at work and I would
stay away from it or any of it's variants.

I prefer to do most of my coding in a text editor. I use TextMate
because I'm fortunate enough to have a mac. On linux I use gedit. It's
better than any other graphical editor I've used besides TextMate. Make
sure you look into gedit's plugins feature. I use several plugins;
snippets, regex search and replace, external tools, file browser pane,
indent lines, line tools, split view, and word completion.

vi is a much more powerful editor but it has a steep learning curve.
emacs is also very powerful, with a different type of steep learning
curve.

I would say that vi one of the most important things you can learn on
unix, however I've been too lazy to do so myself so far and gedit has
served me well. I have intent to learn vi soon.