Ruby is giving me pure hell trying to access directories on a mounted
drive.  Our network puts certain files on a temporary drive defined in
our .profile file I'm running HP UX/11).

If I ask for puts ENV['TMPDIR'], it knows what the pathway is (i.e. it
gives /TEMP2002/t3905).

If I issue a system command `echo $TMPDIR`, it also gives the right
answer.

However, if I try to change to that directory with a command such as
Dir.chdir(" #{ENV['TMPDIR']} " ), I always get errors like this:

./isf_spectrum.rb:1094:in `chdir': No such file or directory -
/TEMP2002/t3905  (Errno::ENOENT)
        from ./isf_spectrum.rb:1094

I've also just tried to define a pathway explicitly as
"/TEMP2002/t3905", and the same error results.  If I directly say "cd
$TMPDIR" in UNIX, I go right there.  I've been trying everything for a
couple of hours, and I'm getting nowhere.

What is going on here?  Why can't I change to a directory that Ruby can
point out clearly?