It's true; either I have large methods, and it's a mess, or I break lots
of stuff into small(er) methods, then I get so many methods that it
becomes hard to find one.

A browser like you describe would be cool then.

Or I can separate them into more classes, break those into files: the nI
can browse methods hirarchically: files -> classes/modules ->
private/public methods.

How does a Smalltalk-like browser represent the hirarchies?
Why can you find methods faster with it?

 > Smalltalk browser has a pane listing just the method names, typically
 > alphabetically (or possibly
 > grouped, alpha inside each group). When you click on a method in the
 > list pane, that method appears.
 > You can look at it, edit it, save it, look at another, and so on.

Some editors can collapse Ruby methods; that could help.

But some nifty Ruby code browser integrated into FreeRIDE would
definitely be helpful.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/