Peter K. wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>

> thanks a lot for the hint !!
>
> Do you have any experience with that kit ?
>
> I am sometimes reading that MS VC 6.0 has problems - is that regarging
> gems ? Or is it only regarding the size of compiled programms (in which
> case I probably don't have a problem, as I would only use it for native
> gems installation).

I'm not aware of any problems with it, per se.
With regard to this error, it appears that it's a bug in hpricot's
latest version, itself--it is missing some quotes in there or
something--so it won't compile if your compiler is within a directory
that contains spaces.  So overcome this by hacking it to make it work or
moving your compiler to a directory without spaces or installing an
older version of that gem which comes with a precompiled binary [in
which case gem update wouldn't work for it].  Or installing a new
compiler in a directories without spaces.

> Are there any pay-offs using ruby_devkit-186-p279 ?

It is rumored to be faster which is the real reason I use it.  It's not
dog slow.  The pay off is that it's easy to install a compiler, that's
about all I can think of.  If you do use it then some precompiled binary
gems MIGHT not work, though--see the web site and its comments.  If you
download a gem that comes with a precompiled binary then that binary
needs to have been compiled with the same compiler that compiled your
ruby [in this case mingw] or it might not work.  Then again it might.

> (By the way, it seems difficult to get MS VC 6.0 - or do you have an
> idea where to get it ?)

I haven't ever tried so I'm not sure.
GL.
-R