On Sunday 10 August 2008 14:26:23 Trans wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2:40  򮮮
> > Trans wrote:
> > >
> > > That's sorely wrong. For the Ruby community, knowing that matz stands
> > > behind something makes a HUGE difference. Being able to add the list
> > > to the ruby-lang.org website is essential --and is controlled by matz
> > > and friends.
> >
> > Well, FWIW, *I* can edit ruby-lang.org (as can quite a few others), but
> > point taken.
> > demonstrated some traction, and that's a chicken/egg problem.
> >
> > But *many* things happen in the Ruby universe (lists, groups,
> > conferences, publications) that, as best I can tell, do not go through
> > any Approved By Matz process. Ruby would be dead were it not for
> > people just going off and doing stuff.
> >
> > > That's not to say an unofficial list is not be possible, it just would
> > > be 100x harder to make effective --and for that, I doubt anyone really
> > > has the time and energy for; and it certainly could not be me. I'm not
> > > well liked by the community. In fact, the fact that *I* suggested it
> > > pretty much guarantees that it will never happen. Ha ha! My devious
> > > plan takes effect, Ruby will never have a beginner/expert list! ...
> > > (just kidding)
> >
> > You may be surprised.
> > some topic or another (I can't recall) that involved the prospect of
> > first polling community needs or support.
> > that's completely wrong: code talks, bullshit walks.   > > wait to get support or permission or approval you'll die of old age.
> > Just do what you think needs doing, and see who picks up on it.
> >
> > Not *everyone* hates you (I'm pretty sure) and the   > > list comes up so regularly that it may get take off no matter who runs
> > it.
> >
> > Even you. )
>
> Perhaps you are right. I not so sure I'm the guy for the job, but you
> may be right that times have changed enough now that a "3rd party"
> could get another list rolling. Hell, maybe both a help/beginner and
> tech/expert list.
>
> T.

It still seems no one has taken the point.. all this discussion about another
list seems to get lots of enthusiatic off topic discussion going about
another list  when straight forward on topic requests for information go
unanswered by the community.

It seems there is more interest in debata than mutual support.

my two pennorth

David