> Yet it's still after I must take my hand off the keyboard because a
> keystroke has taken me to a place where another one can't take me
> out. Then, the single click may or may not activate the target
> window, and the second one may or may not send a click event into it.

Click-through is a sticky UI problem. It's inconsistent, yes.
Theoretically you're supposed to activate the target window and
perform what you clicked on with one click *unless* what you've
clicked on is a destructive action (going by the theory that you may
have missed and you didn't mean to hit that action).