On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 11:43 +0900, Phlip wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>
> > http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46724-1.html
> >
> > Just thought you'd like to know. ;)
>
> Larry Wall will cure cancer!!
>
> "For power users of this open source language, such extensibility could mean
> that they will be able to augment the language with instructions, syntax,
> expressions, operators and other features to meet their own needs. An office of
> the National Cancer Institute, for instance, could extend Perl to include
> features that could aid in medical research."
>
> Like they couldn't have just gone with "an automobile tire distributor could
> extend Perl to include features that could aid in distributing tires"...
>
> And - just think! - O'Reilly will let anyone into their little clich, if they
> exhibit sufficient delusions of godhood.

My sediments exactly. "Version 6 of the Perl will be the first truly
extensible programming language, promised Perl creator Larry Wall". Uh
huh ... it won't be the first Turing complete language, it won't be the
first macro-rewriting language, it won't be the first language with
features to exploit concurrency, or vectorization, etc. And it won't be
Perl, either. :)

> Now excuse me while I get back to extending Ruby in application-specific ways...

Well ... OK ... just don't expect Larry Wall to care. ;)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
ruby-perspectives.blogspot.com

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems." --
Alfrd Rnyi via Paul Erds