David A. Black wrote:

> Just another follow-up (see also my earlier post, which addresses your
> concerns directly): there's a new screencast at railscasts.com today,
> on exactly that topic: models that are not ActiveRecord models.  It's
> here:
>
> http://media.railscasts.com/videos/121_non_active_record_model.mov
>
> I'm glad to see it, as this is something that people often don't
> realize is possible, and when they do it can be quite a revelation.

It don't mean nothin' if you can't use the validators. We tried recently, and
could not get them working in a non-ActiveRecord model. After exceeding our
time-box, we simply made the model into an ActiveRecord table, with no records
in the database yet. It's speculative coding, because we will need to save the
records for our next iteration.

But, in theory, most of the validators have nothing to do with the persistence
itself, so the ActiveRecord maintainers could go decouple them...

--
   Phlip