On Aug 4, 7:05 pm, RichardOnRails
<RichardDummyMailbox58... / uscomputergurus.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed Ruby 1.9.0-03 (ruby 1.9.0 (2008-07-25 revision 18217)
> [i386-mswin32]) over WinXP/SP2 a few days ago.  It works great.
>
> That installation included gem 1.2.0.1824.  I searched for a Rails gem
> and got:
>
> K:\_Utilities\Ruby>gem list rails -r
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
> rails (2.1.0)
> [snip]
>
> I tried a number of permutations/combinations of:
> gem install rails =96r
>
> They all failed with:
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (URI::InvalidURIError)
>     bad URI(is not URI?):
>
> Gem under my Ruby 1.8.6 installation was working fine a while back.
> My Firefox 2.0 browser is working fine.  Any idea what the problem
> might be?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Richard

I just thought of what the problem might be:  Ruby 1.9.0-03 is a
Japanese version of Ruby.  I guessed my way through the .msi installer
screens.  I haven't seen any impact of its Japanese origin when
running run-of-the-mill Ruby scrips, so far.  But maybe the URI
generated was for a Japanese browser.  Trying to actually debug the
gem is beyond my pay grade :-)

I'm going to experiment some more to see if I can get a better fix on
this problem.

Again, Thanks in Advance,
Richard