On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Phlip wrote:

> David A. Black wrote:
>
>> In fact, one question that has come to intrigue me recently is the
>> question of whether there are any active programmers who have
>> literally written code test-first from the time they first learned how
>> to program onward. I suspect the answer is no -- and if that's the
>> case, it means that there is no evidence for the position that it's
>> always, automatically bad to write code without a test.
>
> Nobody holds such a position.

I hope you're right, but I wonder sometimes.

> But when your boss is breathing down the back
> of your neck waiting for you to fix a bug (one that someone wrote by avoiding
> tests), and you are "wasting time" trying to write a test case, instead of
> just fixing it, your boss might need a little help understanding how tests
> could have avoided the situation...

I agree; in general, it's important (and difficult, in some
situations) to see testing as part of the process and not something
grafted onto it or digressive from it.

David

  *  Advancing With Rails    August 18-21    Edison, NJ
  * Co-taught by D.A. Black and Erik Kastner