2008/8/1 Milo Thurston <knirirr / gmail.com>:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>> Just one additional remark: if your Arrays grow large you might
>> benefit from converting them to Set which has faster lookups.
>

> You're right - if I use a Set then the lookup is astonishingly fast by
> comparison.
> Is it OK to combine arrays and sets, though? For example, I have a Set
> of things I need to grep and an array I don't, and these need to be
> combined as an array. So, is:
>
> final = set + array
>
> ...OK, or do I need to do
>
> final = set.to_a + array
>
> ...or even something else?

It all depends on what you need.  If you need Set semantics, use Sets.
 If you need lists (maintain a particular order) use Arrays.  It all
depends.  You can easily convert via #to_a and #to_set. But if you are
finding yourself converting all the time chances are that you are
doing something wrong. :-)

Cheers

robert