Gregory Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Gregory Brown
> <gregory.t.brown / gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> something=false
>>
>> then
>>
>> if(something) is the same as if(something == false)
>
> Sorry, I totally have confused myself (but hopefully not you).
>
> What you're looking for when you do
>
> if(something == false)
>
> is either
>
> unless(something)
>
> or
>
> if(!something)
>
> My point was that you don't need to explicitly check against a
> boolean, but then I made things much more confusing.  Sorry for the
> triple post!
>
> -greg

Actually, your explanation of the loop closing the file handle makes a
lot of sense regarding what I was seeing.  I also did not know Ruby did
that.

In fact, in my newbie meanderings, I seem to recall that if I put a
File.close outside of a loop just like that one, it always spawned an
error.  No wonder.

Thanks so much for your help!!  I'll have to dig out my Ruby book and
read up on file handles.