2008/7/25 Sebastian Hungerecker <sepp2k / googlemail.com>:
> Yes, but you can get that with double quotes too:
> "\#{this string is not interpolated}"
> So what's the upside of '\#{this string is not interpolated}'? Right. No
> backslash. I think, that's what Michal meant.

Sebastian, if you have a dial with a range from 1 to 9 and you see
someone turning it from 1 to 6, you can't say to him "you have to turn
the dial farther up to 9 because this has been your goal".

I still think that the reason for having single quoted strings is to
have them doing less of things like string interpolation than double
quoted strings. Yes, you can do the same with double quoted strings by
adding more backslashes. But for me, minimizing the number of
backslashes (turning the dial to 9) has never been the goal of single
quoted strings. As Michal has shown, then they should behave
differently than they do now.

This is why I have been asking him why he thought that the goal was to
minimize the number of backslashes.

Regards,
Pit