Exploring options... wondering if there's anything that can replace
marshaling that's similar in usage (dump & load to/from disk file), but
faster than the native implementation in Ruby 1.8.6

I can explain some details if necessary, but in short:

- I need to marshal,

- I need to swap data sets often enough that performance
   will be a problem (currently it can take several seconds to restore
   some marshaled data -- way too long)

- the scaling is such that more RAM per box is costly enough to pay for
   development of a more RAM efficient design

- faster performance Marshaling is worth asking about to see how much
it'll get me.

I'm hoping there's something that's as close to a memory space dump &
restore as possible -- no need to "reconstruct" data piece by piece
which Ruby seems to be doing now. It takes < 250ms to load an 11MB raw
data file via readlines, and 2 seconds to load a 9MB sized Marshal file,
so clearly Ruby is busy rebuilding stuff rather than just pumping a RAM
block with a binary image.

TIA for any ideas.

-- gw