On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Todd Benson <caduceass / gmail.com> wrote:
> Simple.  What if you're backslash comes at the end of a single-quoted string?

Beating a dead horse examples...

s = 'I'm not here'; puts s #doesn't work, obviously
# get out of this in irb with a single '
s = 'I\'m not here'; puts s #works
s = 'I\'m not here \'; puts s #doesn't work, obviously
# get out of this in irb with a single '
s = 'I\'m not here \\'; puts s #works

There are a bunch of other examples I probably could come up with.

It would be inconvenient, I think, to make everything inside what you
_assume_ are the two outermost single quotes to be "literal".  I
imagine it would make execution slower, as well.

Todd