On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 2:24 AM, Oliver Saunders
<oliver.saunders / gmail.com> wrote:
>> This statement is not correct. They did *not* develop the Ruby
>> community in Toronto. They tapped a growing *Rails* community in
>> Toronto, but they did nothing for the Ruby community as such. Hint:
>> look at trug.ca for the Ruby community in Toronto. I didn't start it,
>> and I miss the meetings as often as I make them, but that's what I
>> mean´┐Ż˘here are people who equate Unspace with Ruby in Toronto. I've
>> been trying to get RubyConf (the *real* Ruby conference) to come to
>> Toronto for several years.
> As always there the temptation to lump together Rails and Ruby.
> Afterall, what is good for Rails is good for Ruby too; just about.
>
> Also trug.ca, correct me if I'm wrong is a small community compared with
> the ~40 attendees of Rails Pub Nite.

Small, but long-preexisting the Rails community in Toronto.

It's based in part on a long-standing misconception of how TRUG works.

I'd dispute that what's good for Rails is good for Ruby, at that. But
that's a discussion for a different time and a different place.

-austin
 * austin / zieglers.ca