> > > Can I just check: if my Ruby is installed in /tc/usr/ruby..., you'll
> > > honor those directories and not try to use the 'standard' ones?
> >
> > As Pit points out (thanks Pit) you have to edit rpkg/config.rb.  Right
> > now config.rb contains a list of `standard' paths for i386-linux,
> > others lists will be added as (or if) other platforms' users tell me
> > what to add.
>
> Could you pick up defaults from rbconfig.rb -- after all, you're
> installing pure Ruby stuff, so placing it where Ruby is expecting
> would help.

Cool. What's wrong with dpkg? Don't tell me RH ppl do not have
dpkg. They don't have rpkg, either.

Why reinvent the dozens of wheels dpkg* and apt-get already provide?
Could you perhaps use the same fileformat and naming for the
packages?

Whatever you do:
 - allow for cross packaging (I build a few packages for iPAQ:
   arm(v4l) on my PC; I already replicated some helper scripts).
 - Allow for two packages that are exactly the same, but one used by
   ruby 1.6 and the other by 1.7 (version "1.7:moduleversion-andmore"
   seems a candidate; this colon is in use with dpkg to distinguish
   between different glibc versions, but I do not know it exact
   semantics, or rather, which package will be chosen if one of them
   does not provide the number. This can not be an afterthought, this
   must be designed.)

Bye,
Kero.

PS: what is wrong with dpkg for iPAQ, you might ask. Good
question. Intimate uses it, but familiar doesn't. The main reason is
limited storage space: 16 MB flash should not be wasted on big
databases.

Of course, if rpkg would use the same file format as ipkg, I'd be
happy, too :) They look sufficiently similar at this moment that this
could be possible. Grab an ipkg at
  http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder/ipaq/feed/ruby_1.6.6-1_armv4l.ipk

or peek at ipkg scripts at
  http://cvs.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/familiar/dist/ipkg/

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------- http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder ---+