Massimiliano Mirra <list / chromatic-harp.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:02:20AM +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:
>> Could you pick up defaults from rbconfig.rb -- after all, you're
>> installing pure Ruby stuff, so placing it where Ruby is expecting
>> would help.
>
> I had *no* idea there was something like rbconfig!  It looks perfect.
>
> The only issue is that there is no pointer to directories like /var
> and /tmp, so stuff that would go there on a *nix system won't
> (personally I can live with that).

Another weakness of rbconfig.rb is no differentiation between where
ruby is installed (CONFIG['bindir']) and where add on package binaries
should be installed (CONFIG[does not exist]).

In Debian, and I assume other pre-packaged versions of ruby, ruby
lives in /usr/bin, but add on packages should stick their binaries in
/usr/local/bin.

--
matt